Located near Dharamshala and Mcleodganj in Himachal Pradesh Lake Kareri is a freshwater lake which is formed by the inflow of melted waters from the Minakiani Peak. Located at an altitude of 2950 metres or roughly 9700 feet above sea level,Kareri Lake is a mid-latitude, freshwater lake in the Dauladhar Range, also known as the Outer Himalayas or Lesser Himalayas. Lake kareri is considered a holy lake dedicated to Shiva and Shakti. There is a temple of Shiva- Shakti which overlooks the lake. Source of water for the lake is melting snow in the mountain ranges of Dhauladhar.
Trail until Kareri Lake is through forest of Silver Oak, Pines and Rhododendron trees. The forest gets denser for a while and if luck favours you might spot a Blue Magpie or more.
Further, the journey also encounters many shepherd villages and small hamlets inhabited by the local gaddis. A clear day at Kareri village provides vivid views of Indrahar Pass and Mun Peak, which is highest peak of region.
Day 1: McLeodganj -Kareri Village Camp
Altitude: 5,905 Feet
Time Taken: 4-5 hours
- Reach Mcleodganj early in the morning by 0900 am, meet the rest of the team.
- Later we will begin the Kareri Lake trek, and in its first phase, hike to the camp at Kareri Village which will be our stay for the night.
- The climb is not difficult at all and will take you through dense but beautiful pine jungles. As you tread along the trail for 4-5 hours, you will pass by a number of small villages.
- Most of the journey involves trekking down the mountains, and only the last part has some climbing. The village you are walking towards is atop a ridge and has an altitude of around 5905 feet.
Day 2: Kareri Village Camp -Rioti Camp
Altitude: 8,038 Feet
Time Taken: 4-5 hours
- Upon waking up, start the next section of Kareri Lake trekking, and gear up for a tough climb. Today you will walk for anywhere between 4 to 5 hours, but the journey will be highly rewarding.
- The path goes along a narrow mountainous river, named Nyund which have to be crossed again and again. Some crossings consist of makeshift bridges while others will have to be negotiated by walking on riverine boulders.
- Your campsite for the night will be beautiful and velvety alpine grassland known as Rioti, which has an elevation of approximately 8038 feet above sea level.
Day 3: Rioti -Kareri Lake
Altitude: 10,170 feet
Time Taken: 4 hours
- What follows is the most important part of Kareri Lake trekking tour as it will take you to your final destination of the hike. The ensuing 4 hours of treading along the mountains will take you to the base of Minkiani Pass, where the lake is situated, altitude around 10170 feet.
- This is also the most scenic part of the entire trip, and once you start walking, you will know why. You will first walk on a narrow, rocky and muddy track, lined with thickly forested mountains on one side, and a river gorge on the other. As the region is not too high, you will see coniferous as well as deciduous trees along the way. High above the ground, the mountains may be obscured by clouds.
- As you continue your trek, you will keep gaining altitude, and the vegetation will start becoming less dense.
- After a while, you will be walking on quite a rough trail. You will now tread along another rocky river, and the altitude of the region will result in the disappearance of deciduous trees.
- Only towering spruces and firs along with lush grass will be seen. Here the clouds may be right at the surface, and you might get the opportunity to pass through them.
- The campsite for this night will be another enchanting meadow, and from here you will be able to see Minkiani Pass, Baleni Pass and a valley below.
Day 4: Kareri Lake - Ghera Village -McLeodganj
- This day, you end Kareri Lake trekking and hike down to a place known as Ghera. First, you will trek down along the river and coniferous forests of firs and spruce, and as you lose elevation, the vegetation will keep becoming denser
- After you lose a significant amount of elevation, tall deodar trees will start appearing, and the grass will become lush. At Ghera, you will board a Jeep and drive all the way to McLeodganj.
- Explore one of the less explored treks of Himachal, it is less treaded and holds its beauty in the truest form
- You will have a steady companion in the form of river Nyund what more could one ask for
- The trek will challenge you, push you but calm your senses at the same time
- Cater to your holistic soul as Kareri lake is considered sacred by the locals and has a brief mythological history associated with it
- Accommodation at all destinations and camps as per the itinerary on sharing basis.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner at all camps (Vegetarian options only).Food Cycle starts with Lunch on Day 1 and ends with pack breakfast on Day 4 .
- All required Permits • Transport to and from Mcleodganj as per the Itinerary
- First aid medical kits
- Camping fees, comfortable tents, and sleeping bags
- Driver charges, driver accommodation, fuel as per the itinerary
- Reliable, experienced and adept English-speaking local guide and support staffs with great knowledge of the area and the terrain.
- GST @5%
- Transpotation to and from Mcleodganjfor inward or outward journey.
- Travel Insurances
- Personal Porters for carrying trekker’s backpacks
- Any activities, permits, services, accommodation or transfers other than what is mentioned in the itinerary.
- Any cost arising out of unforeseen circumstances including medical emergencies and acts of God. Any expenses of personal nature like phone call etc.
- Anything that is not mentioned in the above list of inclusions.